Friday, October 17, 2008

Goodbye Viet Nam

TRACIE ... Jono is blogging at the same time as me so we may overlap. I feel quite sad to have left VietNam. Quy Nhon was really fantastic for me because I really needed a wee rest even before we left NZ, and being at this less touristy beach (with few hawkers) provided a perfect opportunity for that. I must say, I'm having philosophical thoughts about tourism in countries like this. As usual Jono has to put up with my musings, but he's being his usual darling self.
We travelled by three buses to get to Cambodia. Four hours from Quy Nhon, a ten hour sleeper bus to HCMC, and about seven hours, including border crossing, to Phnom Pehn. It wasn't that painful, which is super. Back in HCMC for an hour, it still felt exhilirating crossing the road. I don't quite know what that's about - perhaps because I'm incredibly boring otherwise, but when I get back home I may need to take up tiddlywinks to compensate for the thrill of VietNamese road crossings.
I'm really jealous of the people we have met who are doing six month trips, but am so grateful that we decided to take six weeks. Before we left NZ we decided that we needed rest as well as adventure and experience, so we wouldn't try to see loads of cities at a day each and come back tired. We have certainly achieved this goal so far, and I feel very privelaged to have seen what we have seen.
The people are beautiful. It seemed to me that the less western influence there was, the happier people were, but I may be making that bit up. Being there has shown me that it's not necessary to spend truckloads of money on resorts, and that for under NZ$20, you can get a nice room and feel very holiday-ish! I've become more proficient with chopsticks, which is cool.
I've also managed to hug a few beautiful people (cook at one guesthouse, motorcycle guides, girl at coffee place..) and it has felt nice to connect with them a little bit, even though language was a barrier and we are really different.
We've also made some international friends, and we might make a few more. We were talking to an english guy yesterday (not one of our new friends!) and all he could do was complain. He was on holiday for MONTHS and he couldn't find anything pleasant to say. Sad. It's early days but I cant really think of anything I want to complain about yet. There are inconveniences and things, but I hope I take a lesson from the winging Pom, and keep looking for the good stuff..
I've felt a bit nervous about coming to Cambodia. I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps because I know even less about it than I knew about VietNam (which wasn't much). Phnom Phen reminds me more of Kolkata. We will be here for a few days and then head north for a bit. YAY!

No comments: